Church History

History of Our Church

Grace Lutheran Church, founded in 1910, has a rich history. Here are some interesting tidbits from our past.

  • In 1910, Grace Lutheran Church was incorporated as the "Brandon Evangelical Lutheran Church," which was a combination of the Brandon Church and West and East Moe Churches.
  • In 1924, and continuing for several decades, church members referred to Brandon Evangelical Lutheran Church as Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church or just plain Grace Lutheran Church, the latter being the most popular.
  • By 1937, the Sunday School had 58 children enrolled and five teachers. They met 44 Sundays and all teachers attended a 10-week training course.
  • As the years passed and the congregation grew, the church proved inadequate in size. By 1950, a basement had been built under the structure.
  • The matter of whether the church would be called Grace Lutheran Church or Grace Evangelical Lutheran Congregation was laid to rest in 1957. On September 6, 1957, the Articles of Incorporation were amended to state that, "The name of this congregation shall be Grace Evangelical Luther Congregation."
  • A new building was erected on the existing basement and was ready for use in February 1958.
  • Grace became a one-point parish for the first time in its history in 1978.
  • The library was stared in 1980 with 238 books. The Seeds of Grace newsletter was also started that year, along with the construction of a bell tower.
  • Throughout the years, there have been many committees formed to address the structure and building needs of a growing and changing congregation. The new Grace Lutheran Church building was dedicated on May 18, 2003. Members of the congregation continue to make improvements and changes to the existing structure.

 

 

 

 

 

History of the ELCA

The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America was formed over 20 years ago. This new church was formed from three separate and well-established North American church bodies:

 

  • The American Lutheran Church
  • The Association of Evangelical Lutheran Churches, and
  • The Lutheran Church in America.

Beginning January 1, 1988, these churches, with shared beliefs and missions, officially formed the ELCA. Two decades later, this energized church is composed of 4.8 million members and nearly 10,500 congregations across the U.S. and Caribbean. Today, the ELCA reflects the rich and diverse heritage of the people it serves.

 

But to understand our heritage fully, one must trace our roots back through the mid-17th century, when early Lutherans came to America from Europe, settling in the Virgin Islands and the area that is now known as New York. Even before that, Martin Luther sought reform for the church in the 16th century, laying the framework for our beliefs.


Read about Lutheran Roots in America on the ELCA website >>

 

Go to our own What is the ELCA page >>

© 2017 Grace Lutheran Church
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community